B2 (1997-2011)

B2 (1997-2011)

Saturday, 12 February 2011

Injured and Operated, But Death Still Claims Tigress at Ranthambore National Park

T-5, a tigress at Ranthambore National Park, which had been spotted by tourism minister, Bina Kak with an injury on its rear last week died in the Kundera region of the park on Wednesday.

After being spotted with a swollen wound, the tourism minister who was on a holiday to Ranthambore National Park, immediately ordered for the animal to be operated upon. The tigress was operated last week on 3rd February for infection in anus and maggots after being tranquilised by veterinarians from Jaipur and Sawai Madhopur.

After the operation the forest officials were constantly monitoring the tigress who was back on her feet and had even been well fed on a bait. She had even fed her two three month old cubs.

The animals’ carcass has been sent for a post mortem. "Reports from doctors suggest that the tigress was highly constipated and was not able to defecate for the past 15 days due to a wound just above its rectum. As a result, the intestine was blocked with hardened scat and there were dark spots too," said an official of forest department. "The tigress suffered massive internal haemorrhage of organs around the stomach. She, however, did not die due to the recurrence of the wound that was recently operated upon. In fact, the report says that the wound had completely healed and there were no maggots in it. Even the teeth, claws and its pelt were healthy," said an official.

The tigress had a fight with T-17, a male tiger some days ago which may have led to her injury. The forest officials are now worried about the fate of the two tiger cubs.

Both tiger cubs though were spotted by forest officials at a hilltop and observed to be in good health. "They consumed some dressed meat and water. But when we tried to catch them, they ran way. We will not be chasing them now as it might scare them away from the area and make it more difficult to catch them. We will wait for them instead," a forest official said. Forest officials are tracking the cubs with the help of a trap camera and even have a cage ready for the cubs after they are caught.

Once the cubs are caught, the forest officials are planning to transfer the cubs to the reserve at Sariska National Park for some time. "Safety of the cubs is our prime concern and Sariska promises to be a better place for them than Ranthambore. They have to be hand-reared. Maybe we will take them to the Sariska reserve where we have a large 100 m x 100 m enclosure that we use for the soft release of relocated tigers. We will hand raise them for some years in a protected cage. After that whether we leave them in Sariska or bring them back to Ranthambore will be decided," an official said.

Similar cases of hand raising of cubs has been carried out in the past. When a Guda tigress had died in September 2007, her two cubs T-36 and T-37 were hand raised by the staff at Ranthambore. "Of course, the cubs then were about one or two months older than these ones. We brought them up till they were two years old and then released them. I remember their first kill was a goat and though they were not good at all then but nature slowly taught them. The T-36 tiger is still alive and is with the T-42 male in the Quwalji area," the official said. "In 2001-02, the Bairda tigress, too, had died and her cubs were raised by our staff Ranjit, who is still serving with us. He may be assigned the task for these cubs too. The Ranthambore staff is experienced in such cases and they can do a good job," he added. T- 5 the tigress who died was also calked as Kachida female and has in the past has given birth to five other tiger cubs in Ranthambore National Park.

Source: http://www.rang7.com/news/national-park/injured-and-operated,-but-death-still-claims-tigress-ranthambore-national-park-881.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment